(can be vegan and/or gluten free)
A crispy thin crust, smothered in hummus, topped with fresh tomatoes and mushrooms, a zesty arugula salad, and a sweet balsamic drizzle to top it all off! This pizza could not be simpler to make, especially if you have leftover hummus in your fridge waiting to be used. It has a perfect balanced of nutty, salty, zesty, and sweet, and is extremely versatile. You can mix it up with your topping choices, and even use flatbread, naan bread, or a tortilla instead of the pizza dough!
(makes 1 pizza)
for the hummus:
- ~ 1/3 cup – see my homemade hummus recipe! (or buy your own)
for the crust and toppings:
- pizza dough*, for 1 pizza
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil (1 tsp for brushing the crust, 1 tsp for drizzling)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- balsamic reduction (optional, but highly recommended)
for the arugula salad:
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Beforehand: make the pizza dough and hummus.
- Preheat oven to 450F. If using a pizza oven, 550F works.
- Form the pizza dough into a round pizza shape (around 30cm). I like a thinner pizza for this so I stretch it quite thin, but feel free to make it thicker.
- Gently spread the hummus over the pizza, getting nice and close to the edges. Brush the crusts with a bit of olive oil.
- Top with mushrooms and tomatoes, sprinkle with a touch of salt & pepper, and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Cook in oven for around 12 minutes, until edges are crispy and lightly browned. Keep your eye on it so that it doesn’t burn! If you are using a pizza oven, 8.5 minutes works well.
- To make the arugula salad, toss together the arugula, lemon juice, and 2 tsp olive oil.
- Drizzle the pizza with balsamic reduction, and place the arugula salad in the middle before slicing and serving!
- use vegan pizza dough
FOR GLUTEN FREE
- use gluten free pizza dough
*Make your own pizza dough or use a store-bought version! This would also be great on a flatbread or tortilla.
- feel free to play around with the toppings and use whatever you have/like