(can be vegan, gluten free)
This pancake recipe, I dare say, is my new favourite! They’re crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and taste and smell like churros. What more could you ask for in a pancake? Plus, they are vegan and gluten free! I have also made them with all-purpose flour instead of the buckwheat, almond, and tapioca (see notes at the bottom), and they are just as amazing. There are options for everyone with this one!
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour*
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 1 tbsp ground flax**
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp tapioca starch*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp plant milk
- 1 tbsp oil (coconut, olive, avocado)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (buckwheat flour, almond flour, ground flax, baking powder, cinnamon, tapioca starch, salt).
- Then, gently mix in the wet (milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla).
- Grease a pan (I highly recommend with butter, margarine, or vegan butter for that extra crispiness!) and form pancakes, flipping once golden brown and crispy.
- Top with maple syrup and whatever you like!
*You can replace the flours (buckwheat, almond, and tapioca starch) with 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
**You can replace the flax seed with 1 whole egg or 3 tbsp egg whites. If you are doing this and also replacing the flours, use 1 cup of all-purpose flour instead of the 1/2 cup recommended above.