(can be vegan, gluten free)
One of my favourite desserts of all time has to be brownies. They’re chocolatey, warm, chewy, soft, and pair perfectly with a tall glass of milk or a scoop of ice cream! These brownies are based on a tried and true recipe of my mom’s and grandmother’s. I adapted them so they can be made vegan and/or gluten free, but they work just as great with regular eggs and flour. I also made the texture a bit fudgier. Now everyone can join in on the brownie fun!
- 2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs*: 2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1:1 GF)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- If you are using flax eggs: Prepare your flax eggs (combine 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water in a bowl) and let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare your other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until combined. Mix in the oil and vanilla.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Top with sweet cashew sauce, ice cream, homemade nut butter, or whatever you desire!
*Keep in mind the texture of using eggs vs. flax eggs is different; Eggs create a lighter brownie that lifts as it cooks, whereas flax eggs create a denser/tighter brownie that does not lift as much as it cooks (and the batter will be quite thick).
- Feel free to add mix-ins like chocolate chips or nuts!