(can be vegan, gluten free)
One of my favourite desserts of all time has to be brownies. They’re chocolatey, warm, chewy, soft, and just so perfect (especially with a tall glass of milk or a scoop of ice cream)! These brownies are based on a tried and true recipe of my mom’s and grandmother’s. I adapted them so they can be made vegan and/or gluten free, but they work just as great with regular eggs and flour. I also made the texture a bit more fudgy rather than cakey (not that there’s anything wrong with cakey). Now everyone can join in on the brownie fun!
- 2 flax eggs* (2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1:1 GF)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, prepare your flax eggs and let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare your other ingredients.
- Whisk in sugar, then oil and vanilla.
- Sift in dry ingredients, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into parchment lined 8×8 pan, and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Top with sweet cashew sauce, ice cream, homemade nut butter, or whatever you desire!
*You can use 2 whole eggs in replacement of the flax eggs.
- Feel free to add mix-ins like chocolate chips or nuts!