(vegan, gluten free)
One of my favourite meals on a cloudy, gloomy day is a big bowl of stew. Specifically a bowl of sweet potato bean stew! It only takes around 30 minutes to make a large batch that lasts for the next 3-4 days. This recipe is hearty, warming, and nourishing, perfect over rice, with a side of toasted bread, or just on its own! It’s packed with flavour and nutrients, the sweet potato adding a subtle sweetness that pairs perfectly with the warm + savoury spices. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (finely diced)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 salt
- 2 cups water (plus extra water or vegetable broth for thinning)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28oz)
- 1 medium sweet potato (cubed)
- 1 can lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 large bunch of kale (chopped)
- Place a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent and lightly browned.
- Stir in the carrot and celery, as well as all the spices, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking/burning.
- Add the water, diced tomatoes, sweet potato, and lentils. Cook on medium heat for around 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and mix in the chopped kale. Allow to cook for around 5 minutes and serve warm!