(can be vegan and/or gluten free)
A fluffy muffin version of one of my favourite breakfasts! The oats in these muffins make them hearty and filling, and the cinnamon rounds them off with a lovely warmth. This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to mix it up to your liking (there are notes at the bottom)! As always it can be made vegan and/or gluten free. Enjoy Xx
for the muffins:
- 1 egg*
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup milk (I used oat)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour** (or GF 1:1)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (GF if necessary)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
for the crumble topping:
- 3 tbsp almond or oat flour***
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Oil/grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the wet (egg, oil, milk, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla).
- Stir in the dry (flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).
- Once full incorporated, spoon mixture into muffin tins, filling until ~3/4 full.
- Make the crumble by mixing almond or oat flour, sugar, and cinnamon (or just sugar and cinnamon if you want!) and sprinkle onto the muffins.
- Bake for around 20-24 minutes, until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean!
*Vegan: You may try replacing the egg with either a flax egg or aquafaba, although I have not tried this so can’t vouch for the results!
**You may also use oat flour, however the muffins will not puff up quite as much as they do with the all-purpose so keep that in mind!
***I would not recommend using all-purpose flour for the crumble. Almond and oat flour are less starchy and have a bit of fat in them that helps with the texture of the crumble without having to add butter. Of course feel free to use a different crumble recipe here, or to just sprinkle with cinnamon + sugar!
Feel free to mix in or top with chocolate chips and/or nuts!