(can be vegan and/or gluten free)
Your Sunday morning breakfast just got cozier with these cinnamon maple pancakes and caramelized apples! Super simple to whip up, these pancakes are the perfect fall meal with a cup of coffee, tea, or apple cider. They also include protein powder for an extra boost of protein if you’d like and are made with whole wheat flour, but feel free to customize them to your liking. Enjoy!
for the pancakes:
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp plain protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
for the caramelized apples:
- 1/2 an apple, sliced
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp oil
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- pinch of clove
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Gently mix in the flour, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt, leaving some lumps.
- Cook in a pan until the bubbles pop and the bottom is golden brown, then flip and repeat.
- To make the the caramelized apples, place the apples in a pan on medium heat. Drizzle on the maple syrup and oil, and sprinkle with cinnamon and clove. Stir and let cook for a few minutes, until the apples are nice and caramelized.
- Top the pancakes with the caramelized apples, and extra maple syrup, walnuts, nut butter, or whatever you desire!
- Use plant milk
- Replace the egg with a flax egg, 3 tbsp aquafaba, or an extra tsp baking powder. I have not tried this substitution so can not vouch for the results!
- Replace the whole wheat flour with gluten free all-purpose, oat flour, buckwheat flour, or almond flour. I have not tried these substitutions so can not vouch for the results!