(vegan, can be gluten free)
This falafel recipe could not be easier. Just throw everything into a food processor, form into patties, and bake! Plus, there are so many ways to serve these protein-packed-chickpea-patties; Place them in wraps, with pita, veg, hummus, tzatziki, or in a salad. The possibilities are endless!
- 2 (540mL, 19 fl. oz) cans unsalted chickpeas, drained* & rinsed
- 1/2 cup parsley, packed (include the stems)
- 1 yellow (or red) onion, chopped
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- In a large food processor, place the chickpeas, parsley, onion, garlic, flour, cumin, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Pulse until combined, not pureed!
- Gently form into 1 1/2 tbsp patties (be careful not to pack too tightly), and place onto lined baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread, tzatziki, homemade hummus, veggies, or on a salad!
*Save the liquid from the chickpea can (aqaufaba) – you can use it in other recipes as an egg replacement!
FOR GLUTEN FREE:
- Substitute Gluten Free all-purpose flour