(can be vegan and/or gluten free)
Happy holidays everyone! I thought I would spice up your day with these gingerbread scones. If you’ve made the pumpkin scones here on the blog, you will love these! They are super simple to make, will make your house smell incredible, and are the perfect ginger-y addition to your holiday baking. Enjoy!
for the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or GF all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled (or vegan stick butter)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
for the royal icing drizzle:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices).
- Cut the cold butter into the dry – Slice the butter into small cubes and incorporate into the dry ingredients, either with your fingertips or a pastry cutter. If you’re using your hands, make sure to only use the tips! This prevents the butter from melting too much.
- Once the butter is incorporated, mix up the wet ingredients in a separate small bowl (pumpkin, egg, milk, vanilla).
- Add the wet to the dry and mix with a wooden spoon. Mix just until incorporated, and then knead the dough on a floured surface 3-4 times (try not to over knead it). Roll into a 1-inch thick rectangle, and cut into 8 triangles.
- Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge before baking for 12 minutes.
- Let the scones cool while you make the icing. In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and water with a small whisk or fork until a smooth icing forms. Once the scones are cool, drizzle the icing on top, and let set for a few minutes before serving!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Use vegan butter instead of the regular butter. Just make sure you use the stick form and not the spreadable form!
- Use plant milk instead of regular milk
- Use 3 tbsp aquafaba instead of 1 egg (I cannot vouch for the results of this!)
FOR GLUTEN FREE
- Use gluten free all-purpose flour