One of my personal favourite snacks for on-the-go! This recipe could not be easier, just mix everything up in a bowl, pop in the fridge for 30 minutes, roll into balls, and that’s it! They are also super customizable. You can use different nut or seed butters and mix up your mix-ins – dried fruit, coconut, chocolate chips, or none!
(can be gluten free and/or vegan)
- 1 cup rolled oats (or 1/2 cup rolled, 1/2 cup quick cooking)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, or chia or hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt (omit if using salted nut/seed butter)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (any nut or seed butter works)*
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes in fridge.
- Roll into balls (~1 tbsp of dough per ball) and store in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for longer.
*You can make your own homemade nut butters for this recipe!
FOR NUT FREE:
- Use a seed butter like sunflower seed butter, pumpkin seed butter, or sesame seed butter (tahini). Keep in mind that tahini is a bit bitter, so I would recommend one of the other options if you don’t like tahini!
- If you don’t eat honey, I would try replacing it with 2 more tbsp of nut/seed butter, and 2 tbsp maple syrup! I cannot vouch for the substitution, but the slightly runnier maple syrup with the thick nut/seed butter should equal out to be a similar consistency to honey.
- Use vegan chocolate chips. I love the Enjoy Life brand!
FOR GLUTEN FREE:
- Make sure your oats are gluten free.