(can be vegan, gluten free, nut free)
Cake you can make in the microwave… enough said, but I’ll go on. She’s fluffy, spongey, light, simple, and fits perfectly into your favourite mug. I have to say though, taste/texture aside, my favourite part of this recipe is watching it magically puff up in the microwave (without an egg!). Vegan, gluten free, and nut free options available in the notes section below!
- 1/3 cup flour (all-purpose, whole wheat, 1:1 GF all-purpose, buckwheat, oat)
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar (white, brown, coconut, cane)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 2/3 – 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- In a mug, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and (optional) cinnamon/nutmeg.
- Then, mix in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cook in microwave for around 1 minute. This time depends on your microwave. I would recommend cooking in 10 second intervals after the minute until the cake is cooked through.
- Let cool, and top with nuts, coconut, cereal, homemade caramel, whipped cream, homemade nut butter, or whatever you desire!
If you would like to use almond flour, I would recommend using less milk and oil.
- Use plant milk
- Use vegan chocolate chips (e.g. Enjoy Life Brand)
FOR GLUTEN FREE:
- Use gluten free flour (GF 1:1 all-purpose, buckwheat, or oat)
- Use gluten free chocolate chips
FOR NUT FREE:
- Use a nut free flour
- Use a nut free milk (oat, soy, skim)