(vegan, gluten free, nut free)
This creamy, smooth soup packs tons of flavour, and is a great way to incorporate squash into your meals! The roasted butternut squash and carrots add a subtle sweetness, which is balanced with warm notes of ginger, turmeric, and cumin. This recipe is also vegan, gluten free, and nut free. Enjoy!
- 1 medium-large butternut squash (~2 pounds), halved vertically & seeds removed
- 3-5 medium-large carrots, halved vertically
- 1 1/2 tsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 a yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp (3 cloves) garlic, minced or roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or 2 cups broth + 2 cups water)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- pumpkin seeds
- cilantro, parsley, or sprouts
- chopped kale or spinach
- splash of coconut cream, plain yogurt, or sour cream
- chopped cashews
- roasted chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicon mats or parchment.
- Place the cut & prepared butternut squash and carrots each on their own baking sheet.
- Drizzle and rub olive oil on the inside of each butternut squash half (~1/2 tsp each), then lightly sprinkle with salt & pepper and flip so that the seasoned side faces down. Drizzle 1/2 tsp olive oil on the carrots and lightly sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake the carrots for 30 minutes, and the squash for 50 minutes, until soft. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a pan over medium heat and heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for one minute or so. Set aside.
- Once the squash and carrots are cool, add them to a blender*. I recommend pureeing the soup in two batches (divide all ingredients in half for each batch). To the squash and carrots, add the sautéed onion & garlic, vegetable broth, ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Serve warm and top with toppings of choice!
*you can use a standing blender or an immersion blender